A few minutes away from the sea, in Borgio Verezzi, there are the Caves, one of the most beautiful tourist sites in Western Liguria. After their discovery in 1933 and exploration in the 1950s, they were inaugurated on June 29th, 1970 on the day of the patronal feast of St. Peter.
The tourist route, which today reaches 800 meters, has undergone considerable changes over time, with the opening of some splendid rooms where you can admire the undeniable peculiarities of this splendid naturalistic jewel.
The caves have a constant temperature of 16 °C – 60.8 °F, the relative rate of air humidity is, on average, around 95% – 98%.
The access tunnel, which is located at approx. 36 meters above the sea level, leads along a short corridor in the First Room, and, progressively descends to the Castle Room one of the lowest points of the tourist cave located, in the middle of the path, at approx. 10 metres above sea level.
The caves were formed, thanks to the karst phenomenon, in the limestone-dolomitic rock called “Dolomia di San Pietro ai Monti”, calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.
The Borgio Verezzi Caves are, among other things, one of the very few examples in Italy of caves that are still managed directly by the Municipality since their opening.